Love animals? Keep reading..
The Animal Ultrasound Association (AUA) offers a unique way to work to protect the welfare of animals. Read on to learn more about what we do, and how you can help!
The Animal Ultrasound Association has three core aims:
- Raising standards of practice in animal pregnancy scanning through improving the knowledge of, and access to, ultrasound education.
- Educating the general public on the importance of using well-trained, experienced users of ultrasound who are using appropriate scanning equipment that complies with safety regulations.
- Connecting pet owners with our members through advertising and promoting our members.
Underpinning these aims has always been the safety and welfare of our animals, but the last few years have shone a spotlight on these issues and demonstrated that it is no longer to be taken for granted that those working within our industry share our values.
At the most extreme end of the scale, we have those who breed dogs and cats purely for money on a variety of scales (all the way up to puppy farming), supported by individuals, clinics and companies only too happy to facilitate and profit from this boom.
Righting this wrong is a colossal task which goes beyond the scope of our own work, but what we can do is:
- Help to protect pet owners from poor quality scanning services that can put the safety of their dogs, cats, goats or other animals at risk – either through the use of untested scanning equipment, or a lack of training which means that owners are given the wrong advice or animals are not referred for urgent veterinary care when it is needed.
- Provide the guidance that will protect well-meaning would-be scanners from wasting their money on poor-quality training courses run by people unqualified to teach, or on overpriced ultrasound machines which are not fit for purpose.
- Provide ongoing, lifelong access to training from industry experts, to ensure that our members and all those who look to us for leadership are kept up-to-date, with easy access to help and advice whenever they need it.
- Lobby government organisations to take a stand against animal abuse and criminal activity within our industry.
We can’t do this alone. If you hold similar values to us and you are looking for a way to make an immediate difference, we welcome help in any of the following areas:
- Like dealing with people? Help run our ‘find an accredited scanner’ service by answering phone calls and email enquiries, directing scan enquiries to the nearest available scanning professional and answering questions about the scanning process. Don’t worry if you don’t know much about ultrasound for small animal pregnancy scanning – we will teach you!
- A whiz with video marketing, social media or Google Adwords? Sink your teeth into online marketing to promote the Animal Ultrasound Association to both the general public and aspiring professional animal scanners, so that they receive the guidance and education that they need. This can be done remotely or in our offices in Bromley, Southeast London.
- Love writing? Try your hand at pitching to sponsors, writing a grant, or writing to MPs and relevant organisations. You can help us seek sponsorship from allied industries, obtain funding, or even change policy. This can be done remotely or in our offices.
About the Animal Ultrasound Association
It is important to understand that the Animal Ultrasound Association (AUA) is not a registered charity or a government-sanctioned body. It is a Community Interest Company (CIC), which means that it is a limited company run for a social purpose. Every year, we report our activities in great detail to Companies House. Our work and finances are completely transparent and can be viewed at any time.
Membership fees are our only steady source of income, and 100% of these subscription fees are reinvested in promoting our members’ businesses. The costs of growing and improving as an organisation are all covered through donation, collaboration and volunteer work – nobody at the Animal Ultrasound Association is paid a salary by the AUA.
Our strength as a society of members is in our combined expertise, common values, and personal integrity. If you would like to get involved, please email us or get in touch through WhatsApp on +44 7910 522 512.